Songo Blue Skies

Monday, July 6, 2009

Sunset/Moonrise over Brooklyn

I usually post pictures of nature and places I visit, but today I thought I'd share a bit of my neighborhood, Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn.



This is a tower that sits on the other side of one of the most polluted bodies of water, the Gowanus Canal. I live about a block from the Gowanus. It is being considered for listing on the EPA's Superfund Site listing (the EPA says it is one of the most polluted waterways in the country) and there is great debate about whether the city's alternative plan or the EPA could do a more timely and or thorough job.





These are the spires of the local Catholic Church reaching into the sunset. I spotted this view as I was returning from walking the dog (my granddog)
Enjoy and have a great day.

6 comments:

Dawn Fine said...

Beautiful shots! Our daughter lives in Brooklyn Clark street. not far from the water and the Brooklyn Bridge. she just got a small garden space and is pleased she can grow veggies.
See u tomorrow!

Cindy said...

Thanks Dawn. Small world, we don't live too far from Clark Street. See you tomorrow

gh said...

Lovely shots, Cindy! I love the water tower photo. I have been working on a series of water tower photos from New York.
I live in Brooklyn too, and long for. . .well, just to get away whenever I can :)
Great photos and blog,
Soon again.

Anonymous said...

Love the water tower shot.

Cindy said...

Thanks, Gary. I understand thoroughly about the getting away. I'm tied to Brooklyn this summer except for weekends and hope to make the best of them. Went birding this last weekend in CT with a group of birding bloggers. It was great fun. I
ll check out your blog, do you have any of the water tower pics posted. I took this one from Carroll and Bond(near the carroll St bridge). While walking the dog I saw the moon was just right and ran home for the camera.

Thanks Steve, Unfortunately it is over a very smelly and polluted body of water, but I didn't have to show that.

Unknown said...

That top photo is great1