Songo Blue Skies

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Central Park Birding

I experienced birding in Central Park for the first time. Luke Tiller from Sunrise Birding http://sunrisebirding.com/ and http://underclearskies.com/ led again with a little help from Catherine of Birdspot, http://mydogoscar.com/birdspot/. We saw lots of Warblers but they were way up in the trees and I didn't get any pictures except for the Black and White Warbler, which I really wanted to see. The rhodendrons were blooming and provided a lot of color to the park and I got a few shots of them and a few other assorted items, but I'll save those for later this week. It was great to be with so many experienced birders because honestly the warblers are hard to spot, and even when you get them in your bins it's sometimes hard to sort them out. It's a lot easier when someone says, "a Magnolia Warbler at 10:00," and then you can find it. My thanks to all those birders but especially Luke and Catherine.
Oops, these aren't birds! I just liked the color and the symmetry Two Red Umbrellas and Two Trees.
Black and White Warbler
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Robin on a nest. We saw three Robins nesting and those nests were not too far off the ground either.

4 comments:

Dan Huber said...

sounds like a wonderful day. I always enjoy going with others as part of the fun is talking and learning from them

dan

A New England Life said...

So much to see in Central Park. I like that photo of the two people with the read umbrellas also. Rather romantic.

I've seen a blk and wht warbler once. Pretty neat bird!

Larry said...

Sounds like a great time! Luke does a great job and Catherine seems like she really knows her birds from the one time I met her on the tweeter tour.

Dawn Fine said...

What a great day of birding! So glad you were out with Luke and Catherine!