Songo Blue Skies

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Allen's Meadows in the Fall

Hard to believe that fall migration will be over in a few weeks. I love going to Allen's Meadows in Wilton, Ct. I'm trying to visit as often as I can. The gardens are dying down even though there are still many flowers in bloom. There are many sparrows and warblers plus other passerines passing through. Here is a sampling of a few from my first visit, Labor Day weekend. I have been back there this week and finally saw some sparrows but I'll save that for the next post.

Eastern Kingbird

Female Common Yellowthroat

Female Ruby-Throated Hummingbird - the gardens were abuzz with hummingbirds on the last weekend of August. They were chasing each other all over the gardens.

Male Yellow Warbler

Palm Warbler

Female Goldfinch corrected this is a female Indigo Bunting thanks to Rob Jett
 
Empress Leilia (I think) if anyone knows for sure please correct Thanks. I love that you can see the eye on this guy

6 comments:

Kathie Brown said...

Cindy, I remember this place! It is where I first met you! What a great place to go birding! No wonder you keep going back! BTW, that photo of the female common yellowthroat is great!

Cindy said...

Thank you Kathie. I love this place plus it is close to my mother's. I also found this week the Floyd Bennet Field's Community Gardens are great also. Wish you were closer by would love to bird with you again, but I'm sure you're glad to be back. Happy birding.

ZielonaMila said...

Beautiful photographs, superb views. I am greeting

Cindy said...

Thank you so much for visiting from so far away. That's what makes the internet so cool.

Rob Jett said...

Great photos. I believe your female goldfinch is actually a female Indigo Bunting ... even better!

Cindy said...

Really, you're right that is even better because then it is another life bird. Thanks Rob