Songo Blue Skies

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Day of Birding, Finally... Part 1

Wow it was so good to be out and about on Saturday. Preparing to job hunt for a teaching position as opposed to a job (I'm in one of those closing schools) and writing and delivering the school history has kept me away from the blog. I have missed it.
West Pond - Jamaica Bay
I started the day at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge about 6:45 AM. The fog was still settled over the refuge. I started with a walk through the woods. I didn’t see as many warblers as I would have liked but got good views of the male and female American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla), White-eyed Vireo (Vireo griseus) a life bird for me and several Yellow Warblers. I continued on to the back side of the West Pond. I had beautiful views of Yellow Warblers (Dendroica petechia), Common Yellowthroats (Geothlypis trichas) and a Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus) I think. Some fellow birders mentioned that there was a Red-necked Phalarope (Phalaropus lobatus) still on the other side of the pond. I had forgotten how small they are but we finally located it. It sat for quite a while and didn’t move, once it started to move it was easier to see this beautiful bird. The bird did some limited spinning but was mostly walking around the edge on the pond. Also saw a White-rumped sandpiper.

Gray Catbird - Dumetella carolinensis


Common Yellowthroat - Geothlypis


White-eyed Vireo - Vireo griseus (lifebird)


White-eyed Vireo



Yellow Warbler - Dendroica petechia

Least Flycatcher - Empidonax minimus (I think) Let me know if you don't agree and what it is. I looked at all the flycatchers and this seemed the best fit because of the all white breast and belly

Glossy Ibis - Plegadis falcinellus
  
 
Female American Redstart - Setophaga ruticilla


Red-necked Phalarope and White-rumped Sandpiper
After a couple of hours I headed for Breezy Point with my friend Andrea for a little lunch and some more great birding. A couple of nice surprises awaited us there but I’ll save that for tomorrow.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Nice pics! Can't wait for part 2!

Shervin Hess et al said...

Hi Cindy, it was great to meet you last week. Hope to see you at the marsh again soon.